While complex for the company providing it, an online backup service couldn’t be easier to use for you as the customer. Setting up the online backup service on your computer can generally be done in three easy steps: purchasing your service, downloading the software and activating the backup process.
1. Sign Up for an Online Backup Service
Did you find the backup service that fits your needs through our buying guide, reviews, comparisons and other articles? Then the time has come to sign up for an account with the backup company of your choice. Whether you sign up using a free trial account or purchase a paying plan, the setup of your backup service involves the same easy process.
2. Download The Backup Software
After you’ve signed up, either for a paying or a free (trial) account, you’ll be prompted to download the software for the online backup service to your computer. It’s a lightweight, easy to use program that you can install in less than two minutes by completing a few simple steps.
3. Install and Set Up the Software
Completing the installation of the program is comparable with the process of setting up a program like Skype for instance. During the installation of the program you’ll be able to indicate whether you want your entire system to be backed up, or if you would like to select files and folders you want to store. Usually this is the only setting that’s required to start backing up your data in your online backup account.
When you’ve completed these steps, you can enjoy full peace of mind in the knowledge that your data is safely stored in the cloud, available for you to recover no matter what happens. No further actions are needed from your end onwards; the online backup service will work quietly in the background and do its thing. Whenever you create or edit a file or folder, the changes will automatically be backed up. You can access and manage your data at any point either from the backup software on your computer itself, or through your online account. If you’re a bit tech savvy and want more control over the backup process, you can go through the settings in your backup software to edit a number of things such as the backup schedule, bandwidth consumption, file types you don’t want to backup etc.
Setup on Additional Devices
You can continue to safeguard all of your data stored on your other computers and devices such as your tablet, smartphone, Kindle and other systems supported by your online backup service. You’ll find a section with downloadable software and information on installing the backup software on other devices from your backup account. You can also immediately dive into the application store of your mobile device to do a search for the name of your online backup service and start downloading the app straightaway. The download and install process will be identical to that described earlier, and all of your settings and preferences will already be preloaded once you’ve logged in with your account.
Best Online Backup Services of 2023
- Are There Really Free Online Backup Services?
- Can I Backup a Selection of Files and Folders?
- How Can I Restore an Online Backup?
- How Does an Online Backup Service Work?
- Is It Safe to Store Data with an Online Backup Company?
- Is There a Difference Between Cloud Backups and Online Backups?
- Is There a Difference Between Online Backup Services for PC and Mac?
- What Makes Online Backups Better Than Offline Backups?
- What’s The Difference Between an Online Storage and an Online Backup?
- Which Data Should I Backup?
- Why Should I Take Online Backups?
- Will an Online Backup Service Slow Down My Internet Connection?
- Will I Be Able to Back Up All My Devices Using One Account?
Get the Best Deals on Online Backup Services
Our monthly newsletter delivers the latest online backup services deals, trends and reviews directly into your inbox.